Monday, July 16, 2012

Act Two - The Middle - Part 1

EXT. CONVENIENCE STORE - LATE EVENING
JIM is looking at the closed shop.  The lights are out and he is outside the convenience store, staring at the chained up the doorway.  The place clearly was ransacked during the zombie apocalypse.  He glances at the shut down ice cream freezer a few times, and its clear in his eyes he is still thinking of Pam.

EXT. STREET - LATE EVENING

As Jim heads down the road, we see more glimpses of how much the world has changed. We see how the windows now have bars to protect them from zombies.  We see how gates have been set up to protect doorways.  We see some people with shirts that talk about the zombie apocalypse.  

Jim sees a nearby bookstore that's still open and opts to head inside.

INT. BOOKSTORE - LATE EVENING

Jim walks past a stack of Surviving Zombie Invasions for Dummies and ignores the zombie-themed books that have emerged to replace the Twilight craze.  He heads down an aisle to look for something interesting when he hears a familiar tune suddenly playing from someone's phone.

A smile crosses his face as the first lines of UNCHAINED MELODY begins to play.  He follows the sound and steps out from a shelf to see the source of the sound.  Jim is about to say something witty to say hello, only to realize it isn't Pam.

The stranger answers the phone and starts to walk away from Jim.  Jim looks dismayed, but as he turns away, he walks smack into another person.

JIM (apologetically)

I am so...


PAM
Jim!


Jim looks up and is shocked to see Pam in front of him.  She looks as beautiful as she did when he first saw her.  He tries to say something, but all he ends up doing is smiling.

PAM
I wasn't sure if I would see you again!
I tried passing by the convenience store but-

JIM (happy)

You're alive.


PAM

Yes!  Yes I am alive.
And so are you.


JIM
I tried calling...

PAM
I lost my phone.  Well, actually I had to throw it at a zombie that was charging for me.  Zombies!  Can you believe it?

JIM
I... We...

PAM
Listen, I am so happy to see you survived too but now is not a good time...

JIM (happiness suddenly fading from his face)

It isn't?


PAM
I just ran over here to grab some manuals for my parents and... I have to head off.

JIM
But..

PAM

Give me your number and I'll call you.  
Tonight.  


JIM
Tonight.


PAM

Yes, tonight.

Jim reaches for his pockets to write his number down but can't find any paper to use.  He grabs the nearest book, intent on tearing the page when Pam shakes her head to say no. Jim places the book down.  Looks around, then places his phone in Pam's hand.

PAM
What?


JIM
I know my own number.  

I'll call you.

PAM
You're giving me your cellphone?

JIM
Lending.
Just so you're reachable.

PAM
This is-

JIM
I'll call you.
And you can return it tomorrow.

PAM
Tomorrow?
JIM
The date.


PAM
Ah, yes.  The date.


JIM
Unless of course you changed your mind.

PAM
I haven't.


Pam smiles.  Jim smiles.  Again they have that moment where things seem to melt away.  

PAM

Tonight then.



JIM
Yes.  Will call.



PAM
For tomorrow.



JIM

Yes.  The date.

Pam backs away, showing the manuals in her hand.  Jim smiles and watches as she steps out of the bookstore and hurries down the road.  Jim waves but Pam didn't see him.

Jim is all smiling as he sits down at the nearest chair.  Everything seems brighter.  Better.  He looks up at the top books list and sees the five books on display: You and your Zombie.  Could you just die?  Have a brain?  Walked the Dead.  With Out Warning.  Her Ashes.  Then realizes the top of each title reads:  You Could Have Walked With Her.  Jim rushes to the door but there is no sign of Pam.

JIM
(sighs, whispers to himself)

I'll call tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment